Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Well, It Finally Happened....

Well, I honestly didn't think this would ever happen.

I won't go into all the details, but my 5 (almost 6) year old son tried to joke with me today, with NO indication he was joking. No facial expressions, no smiles, no laughs, no "I'm just kidding mom...", nothing. He just started in on some story, and I got upset because it could have been a safety issue. 

But he was joking. Again, he gave me no indication of jokes. Now, I come from a family of jokesters, and I'm married to a jokester (who makes it very clear when he's joking, especially if I don't act like I know that).

But I had no clue. I thought we knew each other pretty well, that what we have works, and that I got what he said and he got what I say. But I guess it was bound to happen eventually.

I tried to explain to him I sometimes don't get joking or kidding around. He has to be clear, he has to tell me when hes joking, or laugh or smile or something to let me know he's kidding.

So frustrating. I don't want to do this with my own kid, especially the part about getting upset at him for no reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment