Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Boy - Diagnosis is Cure

Here we think, as parents, that we are pretty nice to our kids. We think that we give them a break, that we love them too much to do things that might actually be the cause of their troubles.

To be honest, I'm finding sometimes that I do things that cause my son to lose it!

I push him to finish things when he is overwhelmed. I try to get him to switch tasks too quickly. I urge him to just finish this one last part of lessons before lunch when he's too hungry to focus anymore.

Here, I thought my son was having problems, and yes, his ASD is a big part of that. But I'm starting to see more and more little times when his problem isn't his ASD, or, rather not directly. I'm starting to see his problem is ME, more often than I like to admit. 

So, once again, just like with my diagnosis, I'm finding relief in knowing for sure. Diagnosis a huge part of helping change what ASD looks like here in this house. Knowing puts you into the place where you can releate and understand what you are going through from a new perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment